Sunday, March 15, 2015

The Excitement Continues at the Release of Nonlocal Science Fiction #1

If you were good enough to give money to the Kickstarter for this new magazine, then I wholeheartedly heap thanks on your generosity.  It also means that you received an advanced copy of the magazine and perhaps a few other goodies.  The official launch of the first issue happened yesterday, reminding me once again that I'm not dreaming any of this.  I sold a story to a fiction publication, and it's available for people to buy world-wide!  Lest I forget, here are some links to sites where you can download it or even have it printed and shipped to you.

http://nonlocalscifi.com/store/  Here you can buy the digital copy.

http://www.amazon.com/Nonlocal-Science-Fiction-Daniel-Dombrowski/dp/0996172327/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1426337155   Here you can get it in print with Amazon's usual shipping discounts.

The publisher also hosts a podcast.  If you're not familiar with podcasts, they're like radio shows without the inconvenience of scheduled programming.  You can download them to your favorite device or listen to them on your computer whenever you like.  You can even subscribe to them, so every new edition is automatically downloaded if you want.

An interview with me was recorded on Saturday afternoon, and it will be available on the podcast in a couple of weeks.  I had a blast talking with the publisher, Dan, and answering a bunch of questions about my story, my background and writing in general. I admit, I was nervous.  I'm not much of a speaker, thus my preference for emails instead of phone calls.  Writing is what I love to do.  I'll make sure to post information when the interview is available.  Dan mentioned that there might be additional interviews possible, with other podcasts or via email from online publications, as he starts the marketing push.

I hope giving interviews gets easier, and I certainly hope it continues.  Practice makes perfect, right? There was a time that I had to take a public speaking class.  It was terrifying to get up in front of the class and talk about even the most familiar of subjects.  I struggled to stay calm and speak clearly.  At least for the podcast I didn't have to make good eye contact and use visual aids.

It's good to step out of your comfort zone occasionally.  Panic attacks aside, I think I could use more of it.  I remember my mom telling me how uncomfortable my father was with public speaking, and that gives me some comfort.  I can't ever remember a situation that my dad couldn't handle.  At the same time, I knew speaking in front of people was something he had to do all the time for his job.  I bet nobody ever saw him sweat.  I'd like to think that I could pull that off one day.

I hope I continue to get a chance to talk to people about writing and how awesome it makes me feel to write fiction that people enjoy.  If I'm lucky, I'll do it a lot.  Maybe I'll even become fairly competent at it.  I certainly want to be able to express my gratitude to everyone who has ever supported my dream of writing, and I don't want there to be any nervousness or poor diction getting in the way.  It's too important to convey clearly how fortunate I am to get the chance to do this.

If you've purchased a copy of Nonlocal Science Fiction, and you like my story, "Catalyst", please leave me a comment here, on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/authoraaronlhamilton or follow me on Twitter: @AaronLHamilton.  I would like to personally thank you for your support.


No comments:

Post a Comment