Sunday, February 22, 2015

More Thank You's

Recently my publisher gave me a set of interview questions to answer.  Some of these will appear in the special edition electronic issue of Nonlocal Science Fiction #1.  Most of the others will be used as talking points for an interview on the podcast of 33rd St. Digital Press sometime in the next couple of months.

One of the questions asked who I would specifically like to thank for their contributions toward my story.  I didn't want to leave out anybody, so I just thanked all my friends and family who have been very supportive of my dream to write.  It's been an ambition of mine for so long that the list would be very extensive.  I would undoubtedly forget to include somebody, and I didn't want to do that.  I've certainly had my share of rejections and negative criticism over the years, but I've overwhelmingly been supported by the people closest to me.  So here are a few of the many I would like to thank, since I feel like I have space enough here to do it.

Thanks, Mom.  You've always encouraged my dreams, and this writing thing has been one for as long as I can remember.  There have been times when I've been discouraged by setbacks and life's ups and downs over the years, and you have always been there to remind me that I should never give up on something so important to me.

Thanks, Margay.  In our dating years, you knew I liked to write and still returned my calls.  Despite the amount of time it involves, when I need to be alone to think or jot something down, you understand.  When I space out, you never flinch when I say I'm thinking about something I'm writing. Writing is a solitary profession.  I couldn't pursue it without your help in taking care of real-life stuff during the hours I'm consumed with fake people living fake lives in the pages of my notebooks.

Thanks, Jonah.  Around 30 years ago, you published a small town newspaper using your own printing press.  I was honored that you saw fit to publish a couple of my stories.  The thrill of seeing my writing in print has not diminished over those years, and you gave me my first break.

Thanks (in no particular order) to Rob, Cliff, Abrar, Anwar, Gaff, Michael, William, Darren, Noah, Brian, Eric and Kurt.  All of you, at one point or another, gamed with me over the years.  Some of you still do.  War Hammer, Star Frontiers, Star Wars, GURPS, Gamma World, Rolemaster, Shadowrun, Vampire, Marvel, D&D, Rifts...  We've spent untold hours immersed in adventure together around tables with dice, and those memories have played their parts in many things I've written and will write in the future.

I'll make sure to let you know when the interview goes live on the podcast.  Thanks again for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment