Thursday, January 15, 2015

Kickstarter and Other News

Seems like just yesterday that I submitted my story, Catalyst, to Nonlocal Science Fiction.  Today the Kickstarter went live:


There are some cool prizes for contributions, including free issues and the opportunity to be a guest editor of the next issue.

I'm excited to be part of the inaugural issue from a publisher who is very supportive of emerging writers.  His advice on Catalyst made it a much better story, and a link to his site can be found below.

http://thirtythirdstreet.com/nonlocal-science-fiction/

I was provided with an advance copy for review, and I feel really lucky to be included with some amazingly talented writers in the first issue.  I actually feel taller after reading it.  The cover art is stunning.  Before long it will be on sale, and I will at last be a published author. I'm getting jittery just writing about it.  I will, of course, keep this blog updated with any news I have as the publishing date gets closer.

My writing progresses at a slow but steady pace.  The novel outline saw some additional content this week.  I'm continuing work on a short story that I'm pretty psyched about.  It is chronologically the first in a series of three, though I'm writing them out of order. The first one I wrote featured a character that I really enjoyed creating.  After finishing the story, I wanted to back up and tell a couple of tales from his young adulthood and his passage to manhood.  It's a post-apocalyptic adventure, one of my favorite sub-genres of science fiction, inspired by the role-playing game, "Gamma World".  This is an appropriate place to thank my friend, Cliff, for his Game Master skills and his continued help proofreading my fiction.  Undoubtedly I'll talk about RPG's as invaluable sources of ideas for my past, present and future writing projects in future blog posts.

I continue to amass ideas for future stories and novels within and outside the science fiction genre. I've been writing fiction for a long time.  Catalyst was originally just one of a slew of story ideas.  It kept nagging at me until I worked it into something, banged it around, got some advice and then finally finished it.  In the beginning, I had no idea it would develop into anything worth publishing. You just never know when a daydream will form into something substantial.

No comments:

Post a Comment